The MAEAP Cropping System focuses on field-related environmental issues, such as irrigation and water use, soil conservation, and nutrient and pest management. The Cropping System is applicable to all crops grown in Michigan, including field crops and vegetables, fruit orchards, greenhouses crops and ornamental trees.
Each Crop*A*Syst tool includes a series of risk questions to assess effective crop management practices and ground- and surface water protection resources. Crop*A*Syst helps develop and implement a plan to prevent water resource contamination while maintaining economic crop production. Plans conform to applicable Michigan Right-to-Farm guidelines and comply with applicable state and federal environmental regulations.
- Crop*A*Syst for Field Crops and Vegetables
- Crop*A*Syst for Fruit Producers (Fruit*A*Syst)
- Crop*A*Syst for Nursery Crop and Christmas Tree Producers
- Greenhouse*A*Syst for Michigan Producers (Old Version, New Version Not Available Yet)
Crop*A*Syst is coordinated with resources provided by the Michigan Water Stewardship Program (MWSP). Your local Conservation District can help you complete the risk assessment and provide information about other educational, technical and financial assistance.
Once a farm is “verified,” a farmer will be offered a MAEAP sign for display. If needed, an additional sign may be purchased. The producer is also eligible for rebates, cost-share incentives, tax credits, low-cost lending and reduced liability insurance premiums from participating companies, organizations or associations.
MAEAP verification is valid for five years. In order to maintain MAEAP verification, a farmer must review the appropriate risk assessment (A*Syst) with their local conservation district technician and request a site visit from MDARD by calling (517) 284-5609.
To get started, attend a MAEAP educational session.
Some helpful resources for this system:
- Cropping Verification Checklist - Field Crops and Vegetables
- Cropping Verification Checklist - Nursery and Christmas Trees
- Cropping Verification Checklist - Fruit
- Cropping Verification Checklist - Greenhouse (Old Version, New Version Not Available Yet)
- Be Phosphorus Smart
- Chemigation Safety
- Cropping Summary of Records
- Greenhouse Summary of Records
- Greenhouse Action Plan
- Emergency Planning for the Farm E-2575
- Draft 2013 FD Emergency Plan
- Draft 2013 Emergency Plan
- How to Take A Pre-sidedress Nitrate Test
- MSUE Irrigation Record Keeping Sheet
- On-Farm Bulk Fertilizer Storage Regulation 642
- Drift Management Plan
- Pesticide Record Keeping Form
- Pesticide Use Form
- Phosphorus Conversions for Soil Tests
- Protect Your Water from Chemical Backflow
- Transporting Hazardous Ag Supplies
- Water Supply Setbacks from Fertilizer or Pesticide Use
- Water Use in Nursery Production
- Strategies to Increase Nursery Crop Irrigation Efficiency
- Strategies to Manage Nursery Runoff
- Find a Technician Near You!