The Farmstead System targets all Michigan farms, regardless of size or commodity. It is the one MAEAP system which is applicable to livestock and all the diverse cropping operations in Michigan, including traditional field crops, orchards, vegetable operations, greenhouses and nurseries. The Farmstead System addresses environmental risks of the entire farmstead, from safe handling of fuels to the proper storage of pesticides. It focuses primarily on protecting surface and ground water.
Farm*A*Syst is coordinated with resources provided by the Michigan Water Stewardship Program (MWSP). Your local Conservation District can help you complete the risk assessment and provide information about other educational, technical and financial assistance.
Once a farm is “verified,” a farmer can purchase a MAEAP farm or office sign, and the farm is eligible for MAEAP sign rebates, cost-share incentives, tax credits, low-cost lending and reduced liability insurance premiums from participating companies.
In order to maintain MAEAP verification a farmer must attend a MAEAP educational session and request a site visit from MDARD at least every three years.
Some helpful resources for this System:
- Farmstead Verification Checklist
- Biohazard Waste Sign
- Disposal of Farm Medical Wastes
- Emergency Planning for the Farm E-2575
- Draft 2013 FD Emergency Plan
- Draft 2013 Emergency Plan
- Greenhouse System Verification Checklist
- On-Farm Bulk Fertilizer Storage Regulation 642
- On-Farm Fuel Storage
- SAFE Transport Storage and Disposal of Pesticides
- Silage Leachate Management
- FAQ SPCC for Technicians
- FAQ SPCC for Producers
- SPCC Tier 1 Example (Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure Plan Checklist)
- SPCC PowerPoint
- Summary of Records - Farmstead
- Transporting Hazardous Ag Supplies
- 2013 Verifier Map
- FY13 MAEAP Water Stewardship Technician Directory
- FY13 MAEAP Water Stewardship Technician Map
- Water Supply Setbacks from Fertilizer or Pesticide Use
- Well Isolation Distance - without Secondary Containment
- Well Isolation Distance Worksheet for Waste Storage