The Farmstead System targets all Michigan farms, regardless of size or commodity. It is the one MAEAP system which is applicable to livestock and all the diverse cropping operations in Michigan, including traditional field crops, orchards, vegetable operations, greenhouses and nurseries. The Farmstead System addresses environmental risks of the entire farmstead, from safe handling of fuels to the proper storage of pesticides. It focuses primarily on protecting surface and ground water.
Farm*A*Syst (F*A*S) is coordinated with resources provided by the Michigan Water Stewardship Program (MWSP). Your local Conservation District can help you complete the risk assessment and provide information about other educational, technical and financial assistance.
Once a farm is “verified,” a farmer will be offered a MAEAP sign for display. If needed, an additional sign may be purchased. The producer is also eligible for rebates, cost-share incentives, tax credits, low-cost lending and reduced liability insurance premiums from participating companies, organizations, or associations.
MAEAP verification is valid for five years. In order to maintain MAEAP verification, a farmer must review the appropriate risk assessment (A*Syst) with their local conservation district technician and request a site visit from MDARD by calling (517) 284-5609.
To get started, attend a MAEAP educational session.
Some helpful resources for this System:
- Farmstead System Verification Checklist
- Biohazard Waste Sign
- Disposal of Farm Medical Wastes
- Fillable Form Emergency Planning on the Farm E-2575
- Draft 2013 FD Emergency Plan
- Draft 2013 Emergency Plan
- Drift Management Plan
- Greenhouse System Verification Checklist
- On-Farm Bulk Fertilizer Storage Regulation 642
- On-Farm Fuel Storage
- SAFE Transport Storage and Disposal of Pesticides
- Silage Leachate Management
- FAQ SPCC for Technicians
- FAQ SPCC for Producers
- SPCC Tier 1 Example
- Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure Plan Checklist
- SPCC PowerPoint
- Summary of Records - Farmstead
- Transporting Hazardous Ag Supplies
- Water Supply Setbacks from Fertilizer or Pesticide Use
- Well Isolation Distance Worksheet for Major and Potential Sources of Contamination.
- Fillable Form Well Isolation Distance Worksheet for Major and Potential Sources of Contamination.
- Find a Technician Near You!